In July 2016, the University of Queensland opened a new Centre for Future Timber Structures (CFTS). The Folded Structures Lab in collaboration with Baber Studio develop an annual pavilion to showcase technology developed through the Centre.
The second CFTS Research Pavilion developed a new type of deployable timber structure, which uses an external post-tensioning deployment mechansism and a hybrid steel-timber structural component.
- – Project Team: Kevin Plasenscia, Lee McCann, Ting-Uei Lee, Stephen Joseph, Clara Bertault, Celie Valentiny, Weiqi Cui, Shuai He, Yousef Al-Qaryouti, Ya Ou, Quan Shi, Alex Ewart, Stewart Matthews, Dilum Fernando, Kim Baber, Joe Gattas
- – Workshop Support: Sam Butler and John Stafford, Architecture Workshop; Keith Lane and Grant Tayles, Supervised Access Workshop; Fraser Reid, Jason Van der Gevel, and Civil Engineering Lab Staff.
- – Build time: 4 weeks.
- – Acknowledgements: Centre for Future Timber Structures; ARC DECRA Award #DE160100289.
- – Music: Way of Life by Richard Lacy.
- – Video: Footage by Shuwei Zhang and Bram Chapman; Animations and Editing by Joe Gattas.
The inaugural CFTS Research Pavilion developed a new type of bending-active structures and investigated fabrication techniques for rapid assembly of long-span cantilever structures.
- – Project Team: Joseph Gattas, Kim Baber, Yousef Al-Qaryouti, Ting-Uei Lee, Jordan Hunter, Stephen Joseph, Ting-Uei Lee, Sophie Sachs, Jonathan Tan, Crystal Wang, Shuwei Zhang, Sam Butler, John Stafford.
- – Design time: 2 weeks.
- – Build time: 2 weeks.
- – Acknowledgements: Centre for Future Timber Structures; ARC DECRA Award #DE160100289; Music – Vanished by Richard Lacy/Marc Hoad.